Thursday, September 17, 2009

This Is Jeopardy!

I have watched Jeopardy! for as long as I can remember. I used to watch with my family around dinner time. I'd go through phases. I'd watch it regularly and then take a break and then get back into it. I'd root for and against players. I'd criticize wagering strategy and playing strategy. If you watch Jeopardy! long enough, you realize how important strategy is.

This week marked the 26th anniversary of the game show. Starting this season, there will be a season-long celebrity invitational. Every third Thursday of the month, there will be a celebrity episode which will conclude in a finale where the celebrity's charity will win $1 million dollars. It always surprises me how smart some celebrities are (and how not-so-smart some other celebrities are). Granted, the show does dumb it down slightly - like even I can answer some. Still, it's always entertaining.

As for Alex Trebek, I have a love/hate relationship. I spend a lot of the episode yelling at him through my television, but disliking him kind of adds to my viewing of the show, and I can't really imagine the show without him.

My favorite part of watching Jeopardy! is occasionally feeling smarter than the contestants. In the back of my mind, being smart and playing a game show well are two different things so it's easy to sit on my couch and call the contestants idiots, but they had to qualify for the show which isn't easy. Also, playing on my couch is totally different than being under the lights in front of a live audience. If that was me, I'd look stupid, too, but that's why I like to watch at home in my pajamas.

5 comments:

MrsErinS said...

I'd just love to see some Sean Connery action for celebrity jeopardy :)

Brandi said...

Alex Trebek drives me insane with his condescending, "Oooooh, I'm sorry" and his snippy "No" and "Incorrect" when people get a question wrong. As if he'd know without it written on a card in front of him.

I LOVE the SNL Sean Connery Jeopardy sketches. They're my favorite.

princessapr said...

I can't even recount SNL skits without laughing. Last season, they brought it back when Will Ferrell hosted for Land of the Lost and it was hilarious. I love the all-out hatred "Sean Connery" has for Alex. hahaha

MrsErinS said...

can i just say that i'm 110% smarter than wolf blitzer. so that made me feel good. But I might not be as smart as andy richter...that did not feel as good :)

princessapr said...

I actually did fairly well. I would have beaten Wolf but may not Andy (I like to think I would have made the game a little closer though). Take that, journalist.

I didn't walk away feeling Dana Delaney was stupid. I think she just wasn't as quick with the buzzing in. She wasn't Andy Richter smart though, but she looked like she was having fun. Wolf looked ANGRY and then when Alex took money away, he looked furious. ha.

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...