Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! Today is the beginning of the New Year, and it is the Year of the Ox. In honor of the Lunar New Year, I'm going to share easiest bulgogi recipe ever. There are tons of recipes for bulgogi. I always say it's like macaroni and cheese because every family has its own version of it. This is the one I make because it's easy and has ingredients I usually have around the house. One day, I'll make a more complicated version.

Bulgogi

Ingredients
1 pound beef tenderloin, boneless
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 scallions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced on diagonal
1/4 cup water
1/4 pounds snow peas

Directions
Wrap beef in plastic wrap and freeze until firm (but not rock hard). Once firm, slice beef thinly across the grain. Place in baking dish. In a small skillet toast sesame seeds. To create marinade, in small bowl combine scallions, garlic, vinegar, water, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and pepper. Stir well. Pour marinade over beef. Let sit for 30 minutes

In separate skillet heat oil. Add ginger and garlic and cook until aroma is released. Add carrots and 1/4 cup water. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 2 minutes. Add snow peas and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes.

Remove beef from baking dish and grill until brown around edges, about 30 seconds per side. Add vegetables to beef. Stir and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with boiled white rice.

Notes: 1. I usually add more carrots. 2. I make the marinade in a gallon-size Zip-Loc bag so it's easier clean up and the marinade is easier to squish around the meat. Usually, by the time you cook the carrots and everything, the meat is done marinating.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

MrsErinS said...

mmmm thank you for sharing! i want to make this :)

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...