Friday, August 28, 2020

Books I've Read AND Movies We've Watched - The Hate U Give

 The Hate U Give: Defining What it Means to be a Black Teen in America – The  Standard

This month, for my work book club, we read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and then watched the movie.  It's about Starr.  Starr lives in a black community and goes to a private school that is predominantly white.  She feels the push/pull of the two different communities and has two different personalities she shows.  In the beginning of the book, she witnesses her childhood friend murdered during a traffic stop.  This changes her to her core, and she finds it more and more difficult to continue to show two different sides of herself.

First, I read the book before watching the movie.  I found it so stressful.  I didn't know much about the book other than I bought it forever ago and never got around to reading it.  It is so infuriating to read the struggle and fear of an entire community combined with watching the news every day.   Knowing this book was written years ago and seeing absolutely no progress today is also difficult to take.  I really liked the nuances of the book, the little moments between Starr and her friends, between Starr and her boyfriend, between Starr and her uncle and dad.  

Second, the movie starts off completely different.  It hit the broad strokes of the book, but I missed the little things.  I felt like the movie's ending was definitely different, and I don't know if I liked that when I compare the two.  Viewing it on its own, I liked it.  I just think I liked the book more.  Of course.  

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...