Monday, August 17, 2020

Books I've Read - the Want You series

 

I read both I Want You Back and Want You to Want Me by Lorelei James.  I thought I was safe reading Books 1 and 2, but I didn't realize there was a Need You series.  They're all about the same family.  I think you're fine reading these by themselves, but it'll be interesting to read the first series next.  

These are not my favorite type of book in that they are in first person point of view that jumps between the two main characters.  I don't prefer first person.  That said, I didn't feel like it was manipulative or used as a way to keep a secret.  If anything, I think it helps that we saw both points of view because all of the characters had some internal struggle based a little on perception.  It would be a shame to to miss that, but I think it could have been done as third person, too.  Still, I still enjoyed the books which is saying a lot because when I say I don't like first person, I really do not.

Anyway, the first book is a reunion story.  The couple share a daughter.  The hero is a former professional hockey player putting the next steps in his life in order.  He is a former player off the field as well who was unfaithful to his girlfriend and is an alcoholic.  She has a few walls - not all the hero's fault.  

The second book is the hero's brother from the first book, and the heroine is a hockey player who is a coach and referee.  I loved Gabi.  I loved how generous and tough she is.  I feel she was unique and something you don't read a lot.  Nolan was typical in some ways but unique in some others.  He had family pressures, but he has a supportive family which isn't always true when you read about the rich, entitled playboy type of hero.  Usually, they have some daddy issues or a wall or deep into the family business.  This was a little more.  

They were good books to keep me reading before steeling myself for another book club book with heavy themes.

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...