Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Movies We've Watched - Work It

 encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT...

On my trend of watching things aimed towards high school students, I watched Work It on Netflix.  Honest confession - I love dance movies.  I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I just can't dance and am possibly the least coordinated person on the planet.  Ever since I was little and watched movie musicals and then stage musicals and then dance films, I love almost all of them.  

This is pretty much standard fare.  Quinn wants to get into Duke University.  She's a typical brainiac and tells a white lie to the admissions officer that she is on the award-winning dance team.  So, she decides to learn dance and be in the big Work It tournament.  Easy peasey!  She gets former Work It champion, Jake, to choreograph her makeshift team.  Jake, of course, gives her all the feels.  There is a big popular bully of a dance team already.  They work really hard and are underdogs.  Pretty predictable conflict and ending which are my favorite type.  I can't say I recommend this movie, but it's better than some of the other fare on the platform.  Decent marks on representation, toe-tapping music, freestyle dance numbers.  I don't really understand the dance team because we didn't really have that culture where I grew up, but I'm on board for the sake of entertainment.

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...