Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earthquake!

As everyone knows by now, there was an earthquake in Virginia that was felt all sorts of places from Georgia to Canada. Our building is one floor so, at first, I thought it was someone walking on the roof. It happens and we were having fire alarm testing today. Then, I looked across the courtyard and saw that the other side of the building was shaking, too. Our building is shaped like a doughnut. So, I knew it was an earthquake. I went to head to our internal room in the office, but we were told to run outside (which later we found out, we're not supposed to do in case trees start falling). After the earth stopped quaking, we had to wait 20-30 minutes to allow for any immediate aftershocks and then until after the building maintenance inspected the building. It turns out there was some cracked glass and debris. I knew there was at least some debris because lights were falling and dust was drifting down from the ceiling when we were evacuating. We were given the all clear but told we should just go home. I went to my cube and saw the sight below:
I knew I was safe so I just turned off my PC and grabbed my purse, but I was sad and will take the time to acknowledge the only victim in this earthquake - my lunch. It was such a good lunch, too - broccoli baked potato from Jason's Deli. I was afraid half the ceiling was still in my bowl so I just threw it away. Dinner will be the most delicious meal I've ever had. (No damage in our apartment, and Little Miss and Husband were safe and sound although Husband had to walk from Capitol Hill to Rosslyn which is quite a walk.)

1 comment:

TaraMetBlog said...

wow, it's impressive it managed to do that to your office though. Being in an earthquake is always creepy

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...