Friday, July 3, 2020

Book Opinion - Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age

I'm having trouble focusing and finishing books lately, but I'm making myself read the books chosen for my work book cub.  Such a Fun Age is the latest.  It is an easy read.  I read it quickly once I decided to sit down with it.  Unlike last month's, it wasn't as much of a chore.  

This book opens with Emira out with friends and being called into watch a toddler.  It is an emergency situation in which the parents call her late, and she goes and picks up the toddler and takes her for a walk to the nearby market.  At the market, security is called as Emira and her friend raise suspicion from one of the patrons for holding a white child.  Another patron captures this incident on cell phone.  It all concludes when the employer comes to the market to verify.  That's the first chapter, and with our current climate, I spent the whole chapter on the edge of my seat/couch.

The book goes a lot of places after that.  It was a good book on its own, but it's such a good one to discuss.  I felt like a lot of people identified a lot of details I didn't (and I hope vice versa).  We were all pretty much on the same page and liked it a lot.  This is the first for our group.  We've been split for all the books before now.  Also, it's a great example of "just wait until the late page..."  

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...