Friday, December 11, 2020

Movies We've Watched - The Society of Second-Born Royals

 



To continue my young adult viewing, I watched The Secret Society of Second-Born Royals on Disney+.  The first time I tried to watch, it seemed a little silly which I attributed to the fact that I was old and not the target demographic.  However, I waited a little bit and then gave it another go.  It was really cute.  I didn't see the ending coming and really liked the unique take on the superhero origin story.  This could definitely be a series if they wanted.  I've also loved the recent string of movies, mostly for young people, with Asian stars.  Younger April would have definitely been into it.  

Sam is the second-born daughter in the royal family of Illyia.  Her mother is temporarily ruling after her father dies.  Her sister is about to take the throne upon her birthday.  Sam bucks the monarchy (despite being part of it).  Sam also finds herself with heightened senses.  After a crazy night, Sam winds up in summer school which turns into her introduction to the Secret Society of Second-Born Royals.  She, and 4 others, learn to control their powers and learn that their job is now to protect the heads of their families.  

At the end of it all, I found it super cute.  The kids did a good job of making you care about their characters after seemingly like caricatures at the start (similar to The Breakfast Club where they are stuck together and seem like the Jock and the Princess but turn into more).  I'd love a sequel where you meet other second borns and other powers, but this one was fun.

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...