Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Movies We've Watched - The Witches

 


Captain has been loving most of Roald Dahl's books.  He loved Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, and The Witches.  He did not take to The BFG so far.  The Witches has been his favorite by far.  He really loves the darkness in the books.  I found this one disturbing on a few levels, but those parts just captivated him.  

There is the original movie.  I've never seen it because it seemed too scary.  Then, HBO Max came out with a version in October.  Captain counted down the days.  I tried to warn him that it may not follow the book exactly.  It didn't, but it followed the general tone and arcs of the book.  It was American-ized and softened a little.  For example, you didn't see the Grand High Witch peel off his face or the boy (turned mouse) have his tail cut off, and the end was slightly tweaked.  It was still fun and flashy.  I think it was a tricky one to adapt.  

Maybe we'll try to read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory together next.  Currently, we're going through the Eerie Elementary series.  Captain loves dark and creepy books which are near impossible for the 6 year old reading level!

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...