Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Movies We're Watching - Ted Lasso


I broke down and got the free preview of Apple+ (though I haven't decided if I'm keeping it or not).  Anyway, I binged Ted Lasso to watch within the free week.  I ended up watching it in a couple of days.  I know almost nothing about football (soccer).  I don't think you need to know anything about football, but I think it helps a lot if you do.  I did need to look up relegation for example.  

It was a funny show with a lot of laughs between the sports, culture shock, and just general physical comedy, but it had a lot of heart, too.  I did feel for the characters.

Ted Lasso is an American college football coach that gained fame from a viral video of him dancing.  He's hired by the new owner of a British football club who gains the club in her recent divorce.  The ex-husband only cared about the football club (and cheating).  So, her plan was to tank the club.  However, Ted is very earnest and determined to do his best.  

I think it would have been easy to make any number of the characters two dimensional from the duck-out-of-water coach to the egotistical athlete to the model girlfriend to the scheming owner, but it never did other than to use those stereotypes to turn your expectations around.


No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...