Thursday, September 24, 2020

Books We're Reading - Shadows in Death

 

I read a non-book club book!  I cracked into Shadows in Death on release date a couple of weeks ago.  The on-page death count was low.  I prefer a good race against time, serial killer, but this one did most of his killing before the book starts.  The book, as all do, starts with a murder.  Then, murder cop, Eve Dallas, gets to work to find the killer.  In this case, it was fairly easy because Roarke, husband and civiliant consultant, sees a familiar face.  So, in this case, it was more of gathering enough evidence and catching the killer to put him away.  In the meantime, Cobbe, big bad, was after torturing and killing everything dear to Roarke.  

To catch the big bad, all of Eve and Roarke's chosen family comes together - Mr. and Mrs. Mira, the entire precinct, Nadine, Summerset.  In the subplot, there was also mention of Nadine's boyfriend and Mavis and Leonardo and Trina.  

All in all, it was a great book.  I don't always like the personal books.  I tend to just like the straight-forward serial killer books, but it's nice to see Eve and Roake grow as characters and grow closer together and to see a couple work to maintain a relationship because usually with romance books, it all ends with the happily ever after.  Eve and Roarke are obviously happily ever after, but it's not as easy as a fade to black which I appreciate - also, even though it's like 50+ books with us, it's only been a couple of years for them.  

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...