Friday, January 8, 2021

Books We've Read - How to Catch a Queen

 

I kept my Alyssa Cole streak up with How to Catch a Queen.  This is a spin-off from the Reluctant Royals series, but it starts a new series, Runaway Royals.  Sanyu and Shanti start the series (and their appearance in A Prince on Paper) married.  They're strained for many reasons - death of a parent, political climate, pressures of running a country (or rebelling against a monarchy).  You know, typical marital issues...  

I thought this book was super unique, and I felt for Sanyu.  I mean, he was kind of a jerk, but it was interesting to learn his point of view and where he was coming from.  Ugh, Daddy issues, they're the worst.  

What I love about Alyssa Cole's books is that the tropes are there.  The plot seems like you know where it's going, but then there's more or it doesn't go the place you thought.  I love that.  I wouldn't say it's a twist so much as a misdirection.  I can't wait for the next book (still have one in my to be read pile at least).

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...