Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Book Opinion - Break Shot: My First 21 Years: An Audio Memoir


I had dabbled in Audible before.  I guess I had a trial membership briefly last year, but I never listened to anything or purchased anything.  Anyway, I really wanted to read James Taylor's memoir, but I found out it's only an audio.  So, I signed up for Audible again and got Break Shot: My First 21 Years: An Audio Memoir.  It's free which was cool.  It took me a week, but I got through it.  I hope he's going to do the next few decades.  This book just started getting good musically.  

I liked the format of James Taylor narrating his early life but also singing little interludes.  His voice was calming, and I think he was very fair to places and people where I would not be as kind, but he treated himself with the same fairness.  I'm still cynical and realize that, as the author, he's still writing what he wants us to know and how he wants us to hear it, but I appreciate the care taken.  

The book touches upon milestones with a lot of time spent with his family and parents which, as a memoir that focuses on the first 21 years, you would expect.  It ends with his career (and meeting Carol King - squee!) and the introduction to drugs though that runs a bit throughout.  So, I would imagine the next 21 years are a roller coaster.  

No comments:

What We've Watched - 2020

I forgot a bunch!  So, just to round out 2020, here we go. Let's see... I watched Enola Holmes on Netflix which I found adorable, and I...